On 3 July 2018, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) issued a Press Release to announce that, on 29 June 2018, the IMF Executive Board concluded the Article IV consultation with the United States.
In connection with the consultation, the IMF published a package of documents that includes the Press Release, a Staff Report, an Informational Annex and a Statement by the Executive Director.
The Staff Report states that many of the objectives of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act could be better achieved by:
- replacing lost revenues with increases in indirect taxes;
- targeting personal income tax relief solely to those earning close to or below the median income;
- imposing a higher tax rate on unrepatriated profits;
- reformulating the business tax as a cashflow tax; and
- redesigning the international provisions to impose a minimum tax on low-tax jurisdictions and to avoid giving more favourable treatment to exports than to imports and domestic sales.