The Telecom industry in India is the second-largest in the world with a subscriber base of over 1.2 bn.
The industry has witnessed exponential growth over the last few years primarily driven by affordable tariffs, wider availability, roll-out of Mobile Number Portability (MNP), expanding 3G and 4G coverage, evolving consumption patterns of subscribers and a conducive regulatory environment.
Indian smartphone users consume maximum data in the world at 9.8 GB per month.
- Total number of Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) connections is expected to reach 1.4 bn by 2020 from 1.1 bn in 2017
- Telecom industry contribution to GDP is expected to reach 8.2% by 2020 from 6.5% in 2017
- 4mn total employment
- 525 mn+Smartphone users
- 100: No. of smart cities
- Indian Mobile industry contributed over $ 140 bn to India's GDP in 2015
- Digital India is expected to create $ 1.3 tn business opportunity by 2020
- Number of internet users in India is expected to reach 829 mn by 2021
100% FDI is allowed in the Telecom, wherein upto 49% is allowed through the automatic route and beyond 49% under government route.
For further details, please refer FDI Policy