- the minimum amount of VAT requested for refund for the annual period is increased from BGN 50 to BGN 100;
- the minimum amount of VAT requested for refund for a period of less than 1 year but not less than 3 months is increased from BGN 400 to BGN 800;
- the persons requesting VAT refunds will have to declare the ratio between the performed supplies with the right to a tax credit and the performed supplies without the right to a tax credit; and
- various administrative simplifications have been introduced, i.e. persons are allowed to provide relevant electronic certificates issued by other tax administrations as well as copies of the documents related to the incurred VAT (instead of the original copies).
January 2023 / Bulgaria
On 16 January 2023, the National Revenue Agency clarified the application of the social security and health insurance legislation for 2023. The written clarification states that the applicable thresholds for social security and health insurance contributions are as follows:
- minimum monthly income – BGN 710; and
- maximum monthly income – BGN 3,400.
Although the minimum income for social security contributions remains the same as in 2022, as of 1 January 2023, the minimum salary was increased from BGN 710 to BGN 780. Therefore, the minimum income for social security contributions of employees who receive the minimum salary should be BGN 780 instead of BGN 710. In addition, the written clarification states that, in 2023, the social security and health insurance contribution rates remain the same as those applied in 2022. For example, the health insurance contribution rate remains unchanged at 8%.
The written clarification is available here (in Bulgarian only).
On 6 January 2023, the Bulgarian tax authority and the National Revenue Agency published the dates of personal income tax (PIT) filings regarding income earned in 2022. More specifically:
- from 10 January 2023, individuals will be able to submit to the tax authority their personal income tax returns for 2022;
- the deadline for early declaration and payment of the annual PIT with 5% discount is 31 March 2023;
- the deadline for submission of the 2022 PIT return is 2 May 2023 (as 30 April 2023 is Sunday, i.e. a non-working day); and
- the individuals acting as traders and agricultural producers should submit their 2022 PIT returns during the period between 1 March 2023 and 30 June 2023.
The notification on the tax authority's website is available here (in Bulgarian only).